Friday, November 11, 2005

Innocence

I find myself now in a situation that I haven't been for a long time:

In the middle of reading 2 books.

I know it's no big deal for most people, but for me it feels awfully strange. The first book I'm reading now is of course TV DRAMA. The other is a little 200 pager called INNOCENCE by Jane Mendelsohn.

I first bought the book for about 25 Pesos in a powerbooks sale bin. I thought: "Hm, not bad cover. Good description at the back. 25 pesos... I'll take it!" At the time, I was heavily into Terry Goodkind and other fantasy books where plot overtook style. When I opened Innocence, I found a story with ill-defined characters, large-ish typr font, and all the paragraphs were double spaced. I was not impressed.

It languished on my shelf for another, oh, 3 years or so before I decided to give it another go, and only then because I needed a super thin book. Now, fresh of my Charlotte Simmons phase, I think I finally have the right mindset to finish the book.

I can't put it down.

The language, which I never noticed before, flows with an uncomfortable grace that perfectly mirrors its teenage protagonist. The ill defined characters were ill-defined for a specific purpose: to define them too much, aside from the lead, would be to remove the eerie haze of confusion that the narrator dwells in. And the story... well, I'm only half way but it's chilling.

Let's see how it goes.

innocence

1 Comments:

Blogger Kat said...

Yes! Finally, you can multi-task!!! Whee!
Something tells me this is the beginning of a long & beautiful affair with two or more books each time.

Take it from a book-hoe, one is not enough!

1:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home