Sunday, November 13, 2005

Innocence - Burned Again!

Well, it happened. So I read this little book, seduced by its oh so hip cover and oh so Kate Moss-y slenderness. And I was drawn in, sucked in if you will, by its flowery words and post-modernist non-use of quotation marks. Hip, cool, seductive... yup, Innocence sucked me in.

Literally.

Let me explain.

The way the book was marketed was as "a coming of age story meets thriller". Fine, I said. The story is about a young girl named Beckett who moves into a new school and has to deal with all those normal outsider problems that many of us go through. Sex, drugs, jack-asses,inclusion... all well and good, right? Then the thriller part came in when Beckett comes across three murdered young girls. Still good, right? I mean, it's an interesting idea to explore growing up within the context of dealing with a serial killer. The killer, I thought, could symbolize the general overall fear that the teenage years bring. Could the killer be a manifestation of the crab-mentality of teens? Could the killer be a symbol of overcoming our trials?

No. Apparently, the killer is a vampire who comes out and drinks the menstrual blood of virgin girls. I'm not kidding.

Argh! Give me horror stories, fine. Give me comign of age stories, fine! BUT DON'T DISGUISE THEM AS EACH OTHER! ARGH!

You know, I totally hate the fact that the Nazis burned books.

But maybe some of them deserve it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home