Sunday, November 20, 2005

Heartbreaking? Staggering? Genius? Maybe.

Well, I just finished Dave Eggers "A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius."

The verdict?

Well, context first. I got the book quite some time ago due to all the hype surrounding its release. But at the time, I was heavily into the overly literay works of A.S. Byatt and Milan Kundear, and so I couldn't really get into Eggers' hipster-cool prose.

Cut to a few weeks ago, and, after reading Charlotte Simmons, I find myself perfectly able to read this type of thing. And so, on we go.

There is no doubt that Eggers is a terrific writer. Reading the book, I was blown away at how funny, painful, and, yes, heartbreaking it was. Nominally a memoir, AHWOSG read almost like a novel... and a very well written one at that.

But the end was a huge let down.

For me, endings are very very important. They are waht we remember the most... what leaves a lasting impression.

Eggers screwed it up.

Hmmm... I can say more but right now Im reaaaaaallllly tired. So... Later!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home